02 August 2026

Older Is Newer

There's no iTunes for Ubuntu.

There was iTunes on my Win7 and OSX 10.6.8 installs on the dead Mac Pro.

This has led to a discovery of just how much music was in the DRM locked m4p format.

Amazon is happy to sell me the music again in mp3 format without any DRM attached.

SIGH.  I sometimes miss Napster.

Going to be a bit of a slog finding and replacing the locked music.

But I get the bitter amusement that this is not the first time I've had to repurchase a large chunk of my music.

I've gone from vinyl to cassette to CD to mp3 to m4p and now back to mp3!

Yay! Fun! Yay! 

6 comments:

  1. Seems there might be a workaround but it does not look easy. I am starting to shift over to Linux Mint as I have just about had it with Win 11 self reverting updates and so much of my older programs no longer working.

    https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/linux-unix/how-to-download-and-install-itunes-on-linux/

    Caveat emptor of course

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got a ton of stuff on cassette that I'd love to have on my computer's hard drive, but I don't know how to do it and nobody will teach me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's super simple. Find a casette player that plugs into your computer, that your computer can read and hit the "upload as mp3".

      Of course they haven't been made for decades and require hardware and an OS you don't have. Assuming your decades old tapes haven't left the chat...

      What you're stuck with doing is learning to pirate music or paying for it again at Amazon or the like.

      Delete
    2. Technomad. a few years back I bought a cheap record player that delivers MP3 output of what is playing, used it to convert some UK children's records from my youth (1950's) to files that my grandkids can listen to. It was a bit rough because one had to manually control the track selection, but it worked. I think the record player also has an Aux input so a cassette player could go there. I don't think it cost me more than 60 bucks at the time. Take a look at the Zon and search for record player with MP3 output. ;-)

      Delete
  3. I miss some music, but not enough to pay for it. My truck has a CD player and I've got a few disc's that have survived over the years. It gets me by. And there's outlaw country on Pandora and the Christian radio streaming but I think music was one of the first "you'll own nothing and be a happy peasant" items. Now everything is subject to a rental agreement.
    White Anglo Saxon culture was nice while it lasted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ion still makes,cassette decks with USB outputs specifically for ripping tapes to MP3. I have an Ion turntable and did try ripping an LP to MP3. There's a lot of work involved. The output is .wav files that needed minor editing in Audacity before converting to MP3 using LAME.

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.