14 September 2016

Unwelcome Comment

I remember once hanging with my "uncle", a naval aviator, and his fellow pilot buddies.

They made some sort of comment about Navy wings being gold and Air Force being lead.

Mouth working faster than my brain, I say, "Aren't Ensign bars gold and Lieutenant JG silver?  And the same thing for Lt Commander and Commander?  Doesn't that mean that silver outranks gold when the symbol is otherwise the same?"

Silence descended on the bar.

First confusion, then anger began to rise.

Luckily my uncle reminded them I was not only Army, but enlisted, and getting mad at me was akin to wrestling with pigs in their pens.

This was when I was so very young and wet behind the ears.  And they were all so very old, I prolly could have taken four of them at a time!  Why the youngest one there was 26!  Practically decrepit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: Sign your work. Try this link for an explanation: https://mcthag.blogspot.com/2023/04/lots-of-new-readers.html

Anonymous comments must pass a higher bar than others. Repeat offenders must pass an even higher bar.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.