10 November 2019

30 Years

It hardly seems possible.

I'd lived my whole life with the Cold War and to be just down the road as it ended seemed so very strange.

Our first news about what was going on was the activation of the phone chain and for everyone to get their butts back on post.

It was like an alert, but no alert was actually declared.

We mostly sat in our rooms watching on TV.  Fred and I, who'd been to East Berlin in '88, kept marveling at what we were seeing.

It was very tense though.

I was an avid player of Twilight: 2000 and the reunification of Germany is the trigger for WW3 there.  It seemed plausible that this was some sort of Soviet trick to get us off guard.

When nothing happened...

We were as surprised as anyone.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Angus;

    Same thing happened to us. They wanted all GI's confined to garrison for 2 reasons. First, was to be ready in case GSFG decided to interfere with events. the second was to keep Americans away so it wouldn't be used as an excuse to intervene. I ran the Border trace in 1986 and 1987 and was attached to Field Station Berlin for 90 days. Then to see this happen 2 years later was surreal

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.