25 November 2019

Thud

Coming "real soon now" to DCS!

Razbam has indicated they're going to make a module for the F-105!

Almost certainly the F-105D, the most numerous variation and since ECM is teh suxxor in the game, an F-105G would be nearly pointless.

I'm kinda excited.

Leatherneck Simulations is working on an F-8J Crusader.

Two of my perennial favorites, and there's already a Turkey and Bug!

The hilarious thing about ECM sucking hind tit in most flight sims is the concepts are very simple.  There's YouTube postings of 1960's era training films explaining how most of the systems work in bold strokes.

The problem is while the concepts are simple and the basics are long declassified... it's way easy to end up in trouble making the systems work like they're rumored to work, and lots of the people involved have had access to the real thing.

You have to prove that you figured out how the ALQ-XX worked from public sources, and furthermore, didn't use your classified knowledge to steer your research into them.  That's nearly impossible.

It'd take someone like me, who's never had the secret materials before them, to do the research for the game...

Hmmmmmm!

I'm going to need me some help on the coding side, I am sure, but this might be something someone could make a bit of money on selling module updates.

2 comments:

  1. I remember when Falcon 3.0 came out, a buddy of mine called the company and told them the jammer control panel didn't actually look like that, and didn't work like that, and neither did the jammer. When they started asking him details, he said "I can't tell you, but I work on them and they don't look or work like that." I didn't work on the jammer stuff at the time, so I didn't know any different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been trying to find the youtube vid that I remember watching about how the various kinds of jamming worked.

      I know it'd be relatively simple to figure out how to do what I was watching in the game, but not in the real world.

      Delete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.