23 November 2019

Honest Thag's Used Jack Repair

Took apart the power head on my dearly beloved Sears 214.50110 floor jack.

It stopped lifting about three years ago, when I needed to lift the car to change the starter.

Frustratingly, nobody had a seal kit for this model for years either.  That recently changed and I bought the kit.

Here's the problem!


Happily, replacing this and two o-rings associated with it was dirt simple.  I have o-rings for the pump side, but didn't need them because they aren't leaking (yet).

We got it put back together and filled with fresh oil and it took a lot of pumps to get it all bled out.

It doesn't go as low (4-7/8"vs 3-7/8") or as high (19" vs  21") as the Harbor Freight Northern Tool Strongway brand jack that replaced it; nor does it lift as much (2-1/4 tons vs 3-1/2 tons): but what it loses in those areas it makes up for by being smooth and predictable.

It's a good jack and well worth the effort to fix!

3 comments:

  1. Glad you could fix it. Good tools should be repaired if they can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I rebuilt my 214.50110 floor Jack and now it won’t lift at all. Is there a ball bearing or two in the hex head bolt?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not that I found, but you've got to get it bled completely. Any air at all in there and it's not going to lift. It was a VERY frustrating process. I don't have the link, but find the owners manual online. The fill port and the bleed port aren't the same, and that mattered.

      Delete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.