14 November 2019

Parting Shot

The passion of the fuel system took its last shot at me today.

I cranked the battery dead flat before I gave up and took it down to Joe.

He noted that it was dead flat too.

Yesterday she was sluggish to crank and the voltage gauge stayed up at 14.6v like it was trying real hard to charge.  Normally it drops off to 13 and change once the battery has recovered the cranking amps.

Today...  No start.

Fudge.

I kind of expected this.

The battery in the C6 is chronically undersized for such a large motor and I just don't think they make batteries like they used to.

Still had enough warranty to get pro-rated on the new battery.

3 comments:

  1. The battery in the C6 is chronically undersized for such a large motor and I just don't think they make batteries like they used to. and Florida is notoriously hard on batteries.

    It's chemistry. That means reaction rates go up with temperature, including self-discharge, sulfation, and all those things we don't want. Are Iowa or Minnesota harder on batteries? I honestly don't know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I replaced a battery in Iowa, it was because the case was busted somehow. My Civic had a ten year old battery in it when I sold it.

      I haven't made it more than four on a conventional lead-acid here. The Precious has practically eaten batteries by comparison. The one that came with it puked out the positive post after a year and a half, the optima Red Top lasted about 5-1/2 years. Then two years and now a year with lead acid again.

      I think I would have spent the money on another red-top if they'd a) had it in stock and b) the persistent rumors that the Optima's quality isn't what it used to be.

      Delete
  2. Batteries don't last as long down here in Texas as I remember them lasting up north either. I think it is partially that hot weather is actually worse on batteries than cold and also that either the quality of batteries has slipped or there has been some kind of formulation change to them, likely mandated by some stupid EPA regulation or both.

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.