30 August 2019

My Cooked Clutch

I cannot blame anyone but myself.

I bought the car new, I'm the one who broke it in and have done all but (maybe) 25 miles on the odometer.

I think the problem was two-fold.

First, this was my first manual in over ten years.  I had to relearn how to drive one.

Second, the underpowered cars I was accustomed to, and where I learned to drive stick, probably taught me some bad habits.

I've noticed that, over the years, my shifting had gotten smoother and I was anticipating the correct gear for my speed better...

Alas, I fear the damage was done early on and nothing about glazing the clutch gets better with more driving it.

Live and learn.

At least I am spared the lecture from the mechanic, while I'm forking over $3,500, about how I baked the thing.

One thing about fixing what you broke yourself is you get to be as recriminating as you'd like while spinning the wrenches.

1 comment:

  1. I have never seen a pressure plate and flywheel that did not look exactly like yours no matter how many miles they had on them, so don't blame yourself for that!!

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.