25 April 2019

Motherfucking Computers

JT stopped by to attack the mystery.

With much diagnosis skill and drive swapping...

It has been determined that the 160gb drive that came with the machine when I got it has something wrong on it and I faithfully copied it to the SSD when I cloned it.

This same flaw is likely what caused the install on the 750gb drive to stop accepting updates from MS.

A different manifestation of the same error since the 750 was once cloned from this same 160 drive four years ago.

He has determined that it's not worth trying to figure out where it went wrong considering that a fresh install on the SSD is so much easier and I don't keep any data on the laptop that isn't backed up on the Drobo.

3 comments:

  1. You have indubitably seen his comment on the other post, but I'll reiterate it here for completions' sake. :)

    If you're running Windows 10, and have signed into it using an MS email account (Hotmail.com, outlook.com, xbox.com, etc) your license key should be saved in the MS cloud. If so, then you can use the MS Windows 10 media creator to build a USB drive to install Windows 10 from, or a DVD to do the same.

    If you're running Windows 7, 8, or 8.1, and have the license key from Lenovo, you can download the OS using the MS Software Download website.

    If you want more assistance with this, you can email me @ gmail via freddyboomboom. I can create the USB thumb drive or installer DVD and send them to you. It would be quicker to use a local machine, but I'd help out if you need me to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Bro, JT, is going to hook me up with the keys and stuff I need.

      It's Win7-64 Pro on the machine. There's a key on a sticker on the bottom, so we should be able to download and use that, right? I am officially not worried because he's confident.

      Delete
  2. As long as the key is still legible, you would use that key.

    Then, yes, download from my previous link and away you can go. :)

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.