03 April 2019

Yes, Helen, I Know

“There is nothing like sitting in the cinema.” Dame Helen Mirrin.

I am aware of this, that's why I simply don't go.

The last new release I saw in a cinema was Moana.  I saw it on a weekday matinee when The Boy and I had the run of the theater.

I have walked out of movies I'd paid for because my fellow patrons were simple insufferable.

Super-tolerant Marv has followed me on occasion.  It's not just that I'm more sensitive because of my misophonia.

Going to the movies can be fun.

I saw Blazing Saddles at The Tampa Theater last year and it was great fun.  But the audience wasn't the normal crowd.

There's a bar in Safety Harbor that has a teeny dinner-theater setting that's great fun.  Die Hard on Christmas Eve rocked!

But go to the theater for a new release?

No.

Last time I tried was Ghost In The Shell and the affrontery of assigned seating, followed by the asshole bringing the entire snack bar with him...  With assigned seats you can't just move.

I left before I got so angry I couldn't drive.  Marv gutted it out to the end, but expressed a great deal of anger at the amount of noise coming from him.

The cinema experience has been intolerable to me for a long time, so I love the fact that I can get a TV that's the same angular size as a movie screen in my living room.

In my living room where I can eat anything I'd like, drink whatever I want, pause it for potty breaks and rewind if I missed something (or just want to see it again).  Where I can say, "Marv, can you be quieter?" and know that he'll at least try to make less noise and not assault me for it.

3 comments:

  1. Why I don't go to the movie theater any more: Because I value my hearing.

    When a simple movie produces more bass thump-thump and subharmonics than three over-the-top hooptie-mobiles, and leaves me unable to hear for a day, making my tinnitus (birth defect exasperated by really good legal drugs) ten times worse, well, the three cows around me grazing at max volume doesn't frazzle me at all.

    You shouldn't be able to feel the sounds in your bones.

    Thus, no movie theater for me. No matter what.

    And, yes, I like the ability to eat my food, drink my drinks, pee in my toilet and stretch out and scratch myself if I want to.

    Plus... I hate people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're doing an ACP film Tracks on a New Release tomorrow. The Highway Men. Some movies aren't even bother anymore. Which given how cheap a massive TV and a solid sound system is now, it's the wise move

    ReplyDelete
  3. I seldom go to movie theaters. I'd have mortgaged my soul for the video capability we have now when I was a kid. I don't mind the other patrons, but paying those inflated prices for snacks grates on me, and I was mad at the theaters for a long time because they were charging me adult prices for tickets, but wouldn't let me see R-rated movies on my own. I figured that if they wanted to treat me as a child, they could damn well charge me kid's rates.

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.