10 April 2019

Tear Down Complete

Every single thing on this removal is made more difficult by design decisions which make it easier to put together on the assembly line.

There is virtually no consideration to fixing it later without access to a very complete shop.

The condenser, radiator and fan assembly are supposed to come out as a single unit.

Except...  The shade-tree mechanic doesn't have the expensive AC refrigerant recovery system so the condenser needs to remain in the car.

Then all of the hoses are retained by the bane of my mechanic existence, spring clamps.

Then, there's the hard to reach wiring harness retainers which you cannot free.

Plus the special tool needed to detach the transmission cooler lines from the radiator.

Nevertheless, I have persevered!


There was a whole forest of leaves between the condenser and radiator, and the fan appears to have sucked on the condenser so hard as to have bowed it in.

I'm going to be doing some foliage removal tomorrow before I even consider putting the new radiator in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.