05 May 2022

Flapping In The Wind

Just before I bought The Beast, the previous owner had to replace the LR door latch.

He cautioned that they were getting hard to find, so when the RR failed to latch once after picking up The Boy I ordered the part to replace it.

Since then, it's been behaving.

Until today when I was 3 hours from the part and the tools dropping of Harvey's aunt at the airport in Sanford!

Darn it!

Luckily, I was able to get it to latch once last time and got home without it hanging open on I-4.

Replaced it as soon as I got home and the old one is CRUSTY inside.

I wonder if I can get it apart and see why it failed intermittently.

Plus, while I was in there, I took the opportunity to connect the inside door handle and lock.

2 comments:

  1. Probably failed because it's made of cheap pot-metal. GM is known for having really crappy door handles for that very reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have misspelled "plastic" with regards to this assembly. I took the misbehaving one apart and it's a complicated mess of interconnected stamped sheet metal linkages inside.

      Not sure what the point of failure is yet, but I'm going to keep probing.

      It could be as simple as old and gummy grease.

      Delete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.