29 June 2022

Training

There's a forum thread talking about why businesses can't find employees and something stood out.

They suggested that businesses start training again rather than demanding an education credential.

I'm all, "I know this one!"

The reason businesses got out of training unskilled applicants and shunting it to education was retention.

Some court case ruled that you couldn't keep the worker from leaving for more pay/benefits at the competition despite having invested time and training in them.

I watched it happen at my first drafting job.

The company used Novell NetWare.

Every time they sent someone to get trained on how to run NetWare, that person was gone within a month of getting back and working for a different company running THEIR NetWare.

I know the real solution is to pay them competitively, but you'd think there'd be a way for a company to recoup their expenditure into that employee...  Underpaying them for a while and getting them cheap doesn't work.

Paying them what hiring an outside candidate costs means you stop offering the training.

3 comments:

  1. People keep saying that businesses are desperate for workers. Not in my own experience. I go in, apply, and hear (if I hear anything at all, which is not always the case) "We found someone we liked better." So it hath been for nearly forty years for me. And then people get after me for being discouraged and down-in-the-dumps about employment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been building fiberglass boats for 40yrs & have had to train just about everyone that works in lamination. They don't teach that in school. I have people that have been with us for 30yrs, that's a very long time working in such a crappy job, but I pay them very well also. The engine installers & finishing people are another story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the military, you have to pay back your enlistment bonus if you don't complete your term. The amount you have to pay back is prorated based on how early you left. Perhaps do something similar with training? An agreement to work at least X number of years after they train you or you pay them back for the cost of training?

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.