03 April 2023

I've Some Passing Familiarity

 

I own and have owned a "couple" plastic polymer framed, striker-fired pistols over the years.

They are, at the end of the day, amazingly similar.

Yet can be entirely different.

The differences are polarizing and people quickly fall into camps.

Of the above pictured, the Glock 21 is the one I shoot best.  I've also owned it longer than any other gun I still own.  It's a WIDE gun, so it doesn't get carried... anymore.

None have been unreliable for me.  I shoot all of them acceptably well.

The Sheild Plus gets carried most because of its size.

I like shooting the M&P 2.0 9 Compact best, and it gets carried when I can wear enough clothes.

The rest?  Because I am a curious and acquisitive monkey.

Some nostalgia too, I think I have owned almost as many individual Glock 17's as there are guns in that picture, so I have to have one example to actually keep this time. 

Because there's so little to distinguish between them, I recommend to my friends that ask they get the gun they like shooting the most.

One even went with an FNS-9!  Which, I have to admit, shot very nice.

4 comments:

  1. I could never squeeze enough accuracy out of striker fired, poly pistols. Glocks were the worst. I want my holes touching each other. i want center of the target shot out. But for most folks "pie plate" sized groups are seen as great results.

    Metal framed hammer pistols work best for me. The only logical assertion I can make is plastic frames flex on recoil = less accurate. Too much wobbling going on. But maybe it's just me.

    -JKing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bullet is long gone before frame flex could be a factor.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, now that you remind me, I've heard that before and it makes sense. So why are they sloppy in the accuracy dept? At least for me, TDA pistols have been more accurate than striker pistols, with metal framed TDAs edging out the plastic framed ones. But correlation doesn't equal causation. -JKing

      Delete
    3. Built to a price point is my guess. Accuracy isn't any better or worse than any of several mass-issue handguns over the decades.

      Traditional guns are made for a different customer to a different standard at a different price point now.

      Compare a genuine M1911A1 to what you get new today, for example.

      Delete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.