14 April 2023

But Why

One of the huge down sides to the 152mm gun in the Sheridan and M60A2 was the range.

There was a bit of a gap between the max effective range of the conventional HEAT round and the minimum range of the Shillelagh missile.

I understood why the conventional round petered out, that's a stubby barrel with a low muzzle velocity.

But I didn't understand why the missile needed almost two seconds after launch to start guiding.

Height over bore!

The missile doesn't climb into the beam of the controller unit until it's gone about 800 yards.

Once it's in that cone it's pretty much the same control paradigm as a TOW missile.

Every once and a while I wonder if the TOW was being made as a back-up to the Shillelagh in the MBT-70 because it's got the same diameter.  <-- Speculation not based on any facts!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.