30 April 2023

WWSD A Critique

It really shows that Jim Sullivan was onto something when he figured the AR-15 out from the AR-10 with Mr Stoner.

It's important to recall Mr Sullivan when talking about what would Mr Stoner have done if he'd started today.

The number one goal was a weapon that would be adopted by the military.

Everything about the AR-10 and AR-15 were in support of that goal.  With the deck stacked deeply against them because the M14 wasn't that long in the tooth when they started pitching their concept.

Abandoning steel and wood for aluminum and synthetics because technology had advanced thanks to WW2 wasn't taken as the reason for the development.

When they were up against the M14's prototype and the FAL contender with the AR-10 they even showed the problems with "lighter weight at all cost."  They burst a barrel and were forced to withdraw from the competition.

Some of the ideas in AR's tend to ignore what would Stoner did?

The modular Cadillac Gage 63 system and the AR-18 say a great deal about where his mind was.

He abandoned advanced materials for designs which could be built with a lower level of technology.

WWSD is an exercise in making an AR light for lightness sake using the latest and greatest materials.

Bully for them!

But it comes with a terrible cost.

Costs that Stoner and Sullivan realized would keep their rifle from mainstream acceptance even if the customers accepted the space-age materials.

The two things remaining on the AR-15 from the advanced materials list were the aluminum receivers and the non-wood furniture.  With specific materials chosen from a list of proven materials.  Proven in aviation, not firearms, but well within a division of Fairchild Aviations ability to make.

The WWSD rifle uses a lot of new materials which are proven in aviation use too.  But the prices have yet to come down.

A WWSD upper receiver on overstock clearance is still near a grand.

More than a complete rifle from PSA and a crate of ammo.  And the PSA gun will come with a way to aim it!

So far, I'm just not seeing what the premium price gets you besides the lower mass.

And embracing the KE Arms KP-15 lower has the mass with a PSA upper well below the "good enough" line.

Perfect has long been the mortal foe of good enough.

That applies to accuracy as well.  Especially since it's a rare AR, from any maker, that will not far outshoot the shooter.  Most of us will be better served by using the difference in price between my Behind Every Blade of Grass idea and What Would Stoner Do? on ammunition and range time.

Or, dare I say it, taking a class on how to employ their new toy to its fullest!

But that's just me.

2 comments:

  1. I've got an AR that I originally built years ago, with (I believe) an M4 profile barrel. I have changed some of the furniture and the optic around, but it still has the same relatively heavy barrel and standard forward assist flat top upper receiver. 12.5" Aero Precision m-lok lightweight handguard, Hogue collapsible buttstock, Magpul MOE grip. With the Primary Arms SLx 3x Prism scope it comes in at 5 pounds, 13.9 ounces.

    My AR that I built trying to follow the WWSD guys (pencil barrel, no forward assist, Midwest Industries lightweight handguard, still Hogue buttstock and Hogue grip) with a 19.2 ounce Trijicon Accupoint weighs in at a bit over six pounds. I can't find the picture of when I weighted it, sorry for being inexact.

    But your point of the WWSD rifle not really being all that you want is very valid.

    For instance I don't think the JP captured buffer spring is really worth it. The aluminum lower receiver is light enough even when combined with a relatively heavy buttstock like the Hogue. Which I find much more comfortable than some of the other options. And I like being able to adjust the length of pull to put my eye in a good spot for my prism optic. And, and, and...

    I liked the analysis videos where they talked about the pros and cons and whys and wherefores of their decisions during the original series, and the second series, but I took them as guidelines and examples of "think it through what your wants and goals are." rather than specific rules. Like prism optics versus red dots. The prisms are much more forgivable to my astigmatism than the red dot I bought because it was what everyone else was getting. And I've got a PA SLx-1x, a PS SLx-3x, and a Vortex Spitfire HD 5x on different rifles now because of that misstep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.