05 January 2024

Did You Know?

You do not have to wait until the change oil light comes on before you change your oil.

This is a mystery to several people I'm familiar with.

Likewise, with modern engines and oil, you don't need to do it every three thousand miles anymore.

6,900 miles with 39% showing on the oil life monitor seems a good compromise.

I discovered that you can buy 12 quarts of Mobil-1 in a "wine box".

I need 8 quarts for the change and it's something of a pain to measure it out to keep from overfilling.

But it's also nearly $20 cheaper than buying the exact amount of oil with a single 5 qt jug and three singles.

3 comments:

  1. How do you define 'modern engine' ? Does my 2000 GMC pick up with original engine (218,000 miles) qualify?

    jrg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Modern begins when fuel wash-down ends.

      Essentially, multi-port fuel injection and vastly improved piston rings.

      Engines just last longer when the fuel air mixture isn't dribbling down the side of the cylinder and stripping off the oil.

      Delete
  2. If you keep an empty 5 quart jug, you can use that to measure out the eight quarts. Yeah, that's still something of a pain.
    I was going to suggest the possibility of getting a used oil analysis to see about extending the oil change interval, but I went to bobistheoilguy to see some reviews. The gist I got was that it generally doesn't make sense for the individual for extending intervals, but it's kinda nice when it catches an internal coolant leak or fuel dilution problem before major damage is done. That place can get to be a rabbit hole - it was just a few hours ago I went there...

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.