12 January 2024

For A Change

I've been participating in a spirited discussion about tanks on a forum and it's been nice to be able to talk about something I actually know a bit about.

Instead of sitting there trying to absorb stuff I don't know a thing about.

It all started with someone posting an article about what a death trap the Chrysler XM1 was and its numerous deficiencies that will get our boys killed dead if we ever have a war with the Rooskies.

An article from 1980.

I remember the talk about the shot-trap and how the bottom of the turret and top of the hull would channel a round into the turret ring to the dismay of the crew inside.

Except...

The rounds that would be so deflected don't have the penetration to do any damage once they get there.

Sabot rounds don't ricochet like that.

HEAT and HESH might, but the "pinball" effect will either detonate them too soon, doing little damage; or slow them so much they don't detonate, doing no damage.

The rounds that gave rise to the term "shot trap" armor piercing ballistic cap and armor piercing hard core (APBC and APHC) do ricochet as predicted.  And lose so much energy in the process that they will not damage the turret ring, let alone penetrate.  APBC and APHC are obsolete rounds.

I'm also enjoying all the tank cliches being spouted as absolute facts.

Things like the Sherman being more fire prone than any other tank.  It wasn't more prone than any other before wet stowage, and far less prone after.

You were far more likely to survive your tank catching fire if it's a Sherman than any other tank of the war.  Crew egress is excellent.

5 comments:

  1. Speaking of tank stuff I wanted to give you a public Thank You for your advice and suggestions for my new book. I hope you’ve had time to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What book, DA?
    I want to get one?
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ‘Texas in the Med’, book 3 of my ‘Republic of Texas Navy’ alternative history book series. Available on Amazon.

      https://a.co/d/9Xgfp6L

      Delete
  3. Tank Fudd lore is right up there with gun Fudd lore. I think warships are close behind for bad takes.

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.