22 January 2024

Florida Man

Today is the 20th anniversary of me signing the mortgage on my house.

Go me!

It's a 30 year note, but we've been paying a little extra principle every month, so we should be paid off sooner than 2034.

Harvey noticed that we've both lived here, in this house, longer than any place else our entire lives.

I looked back at where I've lived and I don't think I can call myself an Iowan any more.

Just 13 years, total, in Iowa.  10 in Illinois.  2 in Minnesota.  2 in Germany.  A year of other places, most shorter than 6 months.

26 in Florida.  I've almost lived longer in Florida than I've lived any where else combined.

Before this house, my previous record for staying in one place was the 8 years in Bolingbrook, Illinois; and that was through the end of 4th grade.

The longest stretch in Iowa was 7 years and I didn't live longer than a couple years at any given address.

I appear to have finally defeated the wanderlust.

4 comments:

  1. Right now, I wish I lived down there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will be 23 years in August that I've been in my current house. I spent my first 34 years in Iowa, at 6 different addresses, although the first two were next door to each other (my Dad bought the house that had been recently built next door to the duplex my parents rented since before I was born. We moved to Ames in 1977 and I was there until the end of 1989 when I moved to West Des Moines where I stayed up until the flood of 1993 when I moved in with my gf at the time (later married) at a trailer south of the Des Moines airport. I was only there for 2 years before we moved to a house on the NE side of DSM and only there for 5 years before movng to Texas. I've still got 11 more years to go, assuming I am lucky enough before I've lived more of my life down here than up in the rectal crevice of the universe that Iowa is. I really don't miss that place. I have little reason to ever go there again since my Mom finally moved to Texas last June. I've got a few friends who seem to be stuck there despite several of us who managed to escape telling them to get down somewhere better... To be fair, there are worse places than Iowa... New York, New Jersey, California... places that are controlled by Stalinist/Maoist state governments.
    -swj

    ReplyDelete
  3. Three months in the Sierras in NorCal. Every bit of the rest of 67 years has been in Oregon somewhere. The last 31 years have been on the Mid coast. Twenty one years at my present house on the bay. Damn its wet now.
    On the coast, rust never sleeps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been in my place since the fall of 2014, but I've been making extra principal payments. Right now I'm writing checks for payments due in 2033.

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.