05 January 2024

To CAWS Or Not To CAWS

There's a serious case to include the H&K CAWS shotgun with my GURPS conversion of Twilight: 2000 because the gun was in the original game.

But...

I've already replaced the cancelled LAV-75 with the M8 Buford.  The LAV was in the original game, the M8 was the FMC CCVL at the time.

The Army never adopted the LAV-25, but the Marines did.  I've included it in my conversion.

The CAWS program withered on the vine just after the original T2K was published, and long before the timeline of the game.

There are other, small, changes.  By 1997 without the "peace dividend" there would have been progress on many fronts that didn't happen in our timeline.

In the real world, even with the "peace dividend" there were no 105mm Abrams left in the system.  OG T2K has an M1, M1A1 and M1A2 (M1, M1E1 and M1E2 by the rules).

By the time I'd joined the Army, two years later, the M1 was gone and 105 armed M1's were the M1(IP) standard which has the better armor of the M1A1, without the better gun.

Even with the end of The Cold War every Abrams prior to M1A1(HA) was removed from service.  Continued Reaganesque funding would have put the M1A2 into service years early and what I call the M1A3 being fielded off reasearch from the, abandoned, M1 TTB.

M1E2 from the original rules was a remote turreted tank that was never adopted, but loosely based on the M1 Tank Test Bed.

I replaced the three OG listings with an M1A1(HA) and an M1A3 with a mounting more similar to what was on the Stryker than the TTB.  The M1A2 would be the same as our timeline.

The point of all that was, I've made changes to suit reality...

That I've done the work to stat the H&K CAWS means little since I've fully statted out the LAV-75 and skipped it.

 

2 comments:

  1. Interesting. What would we have kept developing if Bush Senior hadn't been dethroned by the Clinton Gang? Because as of January 21st, 1993, executive orders from Bill started shutting down a lot of programs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Under the T2K tag I've talked about a couple of the programs that would've kept going. The upgrades to the M60 MBT, for example.

      Delete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.