04 October 2018

Caveat Emptor

I've been eying a .25 pistol at one of the local pawn shops Willard and I haunt.

It scratched a couple of itches.  I collect .25's and it's an NAA clone of the venerable Seecamp.

So Willard bought it today.


Handsome isn't it?  But wait, what's that on the magazine?


.32?  Did North American Arms use the same magazine for both .25 ACP and .32 ACP like Ortgies?

Wait one more second...  The slide doesn't say .25 ACP, it says .25 NAA!


We'd never heard of no .25 NAA.

Look online for some.

NAA means Not Available Anywhere.

It was developed in 2002 and got a quick, but brief heyday.  Now nobody makes it.

NAA's web page says I can call them and get ammo at a reasonable price.

Nope!

I am assured by the nice lady on the phone at North American Arms that they have a couple of producers who're in the final testing phase of making new ammo.  I gave her my name and email and am on "The List" to be notified when ammo becomes available.

What I have until ammo surfaces is a 14 ounce paper weight.  Fingers crossed on that ammo getting made and being affordable.

PS: It came in a nice lockable steel box.  That's something.  Right?

10 comments:

  1. Its work, but it can be handloaded

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you get a .32 ACP barrel for it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The barrel is an integral part of the frame as far as I know.

      My Pop has the .380 version, it's a nice enough gun but it does kinda sting when you shoot it.

      Also, make sure you don't dry fire it too much as the firing pin will stick and it will spit its guts out.

      I was very lucky to find the retainer on the bench when while shooting it at a the range.

      It was bang and then why is there a spring sticking out of the back of the slide?

      Delete
  3. Yep, you're screwed.

    You can get 8mm Nambu, 9X18 ULTRA, .356 TSW, 32 S&W, 38 Short Colt, 38 Super , 45 G.A.P, 9 X 23 Winchester, and 44 Russian.

    You can even get 10.4 Italian Ordnance for $72 a box.

    .32NAA is still relatively easy-ish to find.

    But for .25NAA, there is nothing. Even the company that help design it, Cor-bon, doesn't list it anymore on their site.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not completely screwed. The parent case is still around. The 35gr hollow points in .25 are available. Just need some resizing dies...

      Cor-Bon has been known to do small lots for custom orders, so there's also that hope.

      Not being able to shoot it doesn't bother me as much as it probably should. I collect .25 mouse-guns, I don't really SHOOT .25 mouse-guns.

      Delete
  4. Hey Angus;

    Perhaps that pistol will be worth money because it is rare when all the other copies have been turned in with gun buy back programs because there is no ammo anywhere. Seriously, check in reloading and I wonder if some other ammo cross-references....just a thought....

    ReplyDelete
  5. It took some digging matey, but I found the treasure, arrr.

    http://shop.ammobee.com/ammo/handgun-ammunition/hornady-25-naa-north-american-arms-jhp-35gr-20cnt-1501

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Contact us for availability" is code for "we ain't got none".

      Delete
  6. $3.41 brass, each.
    https://www.rccbrass.com/product/25-naa/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I can wait until someone else makes loaded ammo...

      Delete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.