03 October 2018

Learning Experience

We learn by doing.

Today I learned that a cheap ring-flash on my point and shoot SX20IS is not ideal for what I want to do.


It's better than previous attempts, but not yet ideal.  Also, using the provided ΓΈ67mm adapter lets the camera see the light ring.  Sub-optimal.

I guess I will just have to start cropping the images.  It's not like I don't have five programs that will do the job.


I'm still playing, still learning.

I don't care for the cold spot in the center of the ring.


Definitely going to have to use multiple lights to get the tight macros I want.  This does the job I wanted for and that's to hide the shadow of the lens barrel.  Now I just need a second light to hid the hole in the ring's coverage at close range.

2 comments:

  1. There's a minimal use distance on a ring flash to not get that weird grey spot. I would suggest doing a series of tests by mounting your camera on a tripod and then having a test subject to move from absolutely close and then away by 2", chart the results and see what the min and max use field is.

    As to the ring light showing dunno about that.

    You really need to try playing with some cheap clip-on lights to provide better side light. I know your world is a little cramped, but it might help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In many ways I want my old S5IS back. It could get in a lot tighter for macro work.

      Delete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.