29 October 2021

Bagna Cauda

Every time I rewatch Babylon 5, I run across the episode where Garibaldi defies medical orders and makes bagna cauda.

It's a pint of extra virgin olive oil, 1/2 cup of butter, 10 cloves of minced garlic and 4 ounces of drained anchovies heated up and used like a fondu.

Dipping bread is the traditional thing.

Literally greasy WOP food.

Before I make it, I'd want to make sure I had someone who liked anchovies on hand.

I don't know if I like them, but I hear how overpowering they can be for a dish (prolly overwhelmed by the garlic)...

2 comments:

  1. If you like real Caesar Salad dressing, it also has anchovies in it.

    The garlic and olive oil and butter all help mellow the anchovies. So it should taste good, though I'd probably make it on the patio the, ever first time.

    Anchovies are kind of like Viet fish sauce. Deadly by itself, but when combined with chili paste, some sugar and soy sauce and put into the refrigerator for 8-10 hours to fight itself, makes a tasty dipping sauce. Just... don't open or pour the sauce inside the house, ever. Really. Don't do it.

    Real Italian cooks usually have enough strong-smelling food cooking (garlic, some cheeses, etc) that the anchovy smell doesn't make too much stench.

    Good luck if you try it. Keep us informed as to any successes or defeats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, American canned anchovies are salt pills. Look for imported anchovies. They are much less salty. When I've had good anchovies I've enjoyed them. I've never liked the salt bombs.

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: Sign your work. Try this link for an explanation: https://mcthag.blogspot.com/2023/04/lots-of-new-readers.html

Anonymous comments must pass a higher bar than others. Repeat offenders must pass an even higher bar.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.