11 January 2023

Mountain Goat

Mountain Sheep?

I didn't know the difference.

But we were up in mountains looking to shoot something that had horns.

Google's pictures say "bighorn sheep".

After walking for, seemingly, parsecs to find any at all...

I spotted one.

Bob took aim.

I said, "wait!"

"Why?" he asked.

"It's the fucking moose thing all over again!"

"But it's not that far a shot!" he rationalized.

"Yes, but how far is the walk to get to it once you shoot it?"

That's when he saw what I saw.

The sheep was on the other side of a valley, and to get to it we'd have to walk down or around for miles to get to the 100 yards away it was standing.

Bob picked a different sheep the next day.

2 comments:

  1. Wise decision. The work of hauling pounds down hill (where ankles get turned easily) and back up to where you are should be factored in. Glad your hunt had a happy ending - protein is getting really expensive at the store.

    jrg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya just don't shoot critters across a valley. Well, not more'n ONCE, that is!
    Ask me how I know.

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.