07 January 2023

Red Dots

I was an early adopter of red-dot optics.

I bought an Aimpoint 1000, that Harvey has mounted to her 10/22, back in 1990ish when I first encountered the idea.

Put the dot on where you want the bullet to go, the bullet goes there.

Just like a laser sight!

Playing with FuzzyGeff's Imatronic Lasersight LS45 laser sight convinced us that I'd made the correct decision in dot-on-target technology.

Since then I've gotten a procession of red-dots for my modern sporting guns.

I've been mostly content except for my astigmatism getting worse in my right eye.

I've been watching as red-dots have made in roads onto pistol slides.

I was not an early adopter here.

The extra protrusion of the sight, to me, precludes using them for pocket carry.

Then having a slide milled precluded getting one for other forms of carry, and getting a different holster cut for it...  Lots of reasons to not.

Even getting a pistol already cut for it would have been an additional expense.

Well.

Thanks to Mr Fleetwood, I now own a pistol already milled for a red-dot.

Most of the holsters for it are already cut away to accommodate the things.

That leaves only the procurement of the nefarious device to bolt to the slide.

And I don't know if I will.

In theory, I like the idea.  I want to see if it works out in practice, but don't wanna spent the money.

I am, however, saved!  The local range has a P320 with a Romeo already on it for rent.

I think I will take the cheap way out.

5 comments:

  1. Did Geff have one of those Imatronics too? I don't remember now. I've still got one of those huge things around here somewhere. I don't know if it even still works. I haven't had it mounted on anything in years. I remember being on a balcony around 1990 and dropping that red dot on some people that it caused a major panic for...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He indicated he still had it recently. Like you, he's no idea if it still powers up.

      Delete
    2. I remember it being extremely battery hungry and it got hot. I think it was actually a vacuum tube laser rather than a semiconductor laser like basically anything modern. We probably bought them because they looked like the one in the original Terminator movie. Now I just need the "45 Long Slide" to go with it.

      Delete
  2. I've read the holosuns tend to work better for those with astigmatism... panzer guy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm hoping you decide to try the pistol mounted red dot and write about it. As an astigmatic cheapo I hope to learn through your experience.

    I like your writing style.

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.