16 January 2023

How Hard Was It?

The set of tools I take on trips came in a blown-plastic fitted case.

Harvey bought it for me almost 24 years ago.

The latches finally died.

This has replaced it!


I ditched the 12-point 1/2-drive stuff because I never use it.  I might slip in a couple of 6-point 1/2-drive sockets for lug nuts later on.

While putting up chicken wire to prevent cat-escape on the screened porch (it also prevents claw damage) I noticed my handy-dandy box for my 1/4-drive sockets had also lost a latch!

It doesn't show, but the one on the right is busted.

While finding a replacement for the big set was pretty simple; go to Lowe's pick it out, head home.  Finding an appropriate replacement for the smaller one wasn't.

I liked that yellow box.

Nobody seemed to have anything like it.

We went to a craft shop (Michael's), Target and Wal Mart without finding anything exactly like it.

The "this will do" choice at Wal Mart didn't get purchased because the checker (me) couldn't find the UPC to scan it in and said, "fuck this" and abandoned the cart in the check out area.

Wal Mart just isn't nice enough to keep going once anything goes wrong there.

I tried Amazon, but couldn't figure out the right search terms to narrow the choices down to what I wanted.

Searching for the dimensions of the yellow box got me to Home Depot's site and then got me this:

Everything but my long extension fits and with room to spare.  I need to add some deep well metric sockets now.

6 comments:

  1. those clear flat tackle box things with the dividers that you move around would probably work also... and with a razer you can cut the permanent dividers out of you need a longer/bigger section...panzer guy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A flat clear tackle box thing like the one shown in the last picture?

      Delete
    2. yes...ha...I couldn't tell exactly what it was on my phone

      Delete
  2. Head to Horror Freight. Have a fair selection and quality much improved over past stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is that Craftsman box at the top part of a stacking system like Milwaukee Pack Out? Also Harbor Freight has lots of cheap compartmented boxes, as does the fishing department. I have several small Plano boxes for small parts storage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is. Not sure if I will ever get another level for the stack, I picked it because it was priced well and did what I wanted by itself.

      Delete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: Sign your work. Try this link for an explanation: https://mcthag.blogspot.com/2023/04/lots-of-new-readers.html

Anonymous comments must pass a higher bar than others. Repeat offenders must pass an even higher bar.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.