11 January 2023

Solved?

The beloved Mac Pro has balked at booting into Win7 a couple of times.

Considering that the hard drive for Win7 is my oldest drive, I suspected that was the problem.

Been doing the research for a new desktop because Win7 is about out of life anyway.

Today, the machine balked at booting into OSX and gave me an error log for it.

No GPU found.

The symptoms of the balking was howling fans, start screen then no fan noise and no signal to the monitors.

Opening the case in this state shows fans all running at idle.

With the error report in mind and remembering something Marv had said about the Drobo's interior having channels in the dust where the canned air could reach...

So I removed the card and blew it out from different angles.  Lots of dust.  Huzzah!  Except the fan wouldn't spin freely.  Uh oh!

I took my video card apart.  What had I to lose at this point?

Utterly choked with dust, including a peanut sized piece of lint/fur that was keeping the fan from spinning.  It had marks on it that showed it was blocking half the fins of the heat-sink before I dislodged it into the fan.

Update to add:

The disassembly allowed me to clean out the card and it's working correctly now!

I swear I said that before stabbing publish, but apparently...

4 comments:

  1. did you put it back together and it's working?...i'm about to break out my old windows 7 computer so i can play some older games on it...panzer guy

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's back together and no longer howling in undercooled protest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. " Mac Pro has balked at booting into Win7 " - A perfectly justifiable reaction. LOL! I've been meaning to ask why you loaded a windows operating system into a Mac? it's like using ProMags and wondering why you have jams. Or maybe it's more putting really bad gas in your high-end sports car and asking why the engine is knocking? I don't know... pick you metaphor. Macs run great when you stick to Mac stuff, but choking Windows operating systems or programs down their throats is a recipe for disfunction. But I reckon you have good reason. -JKing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure I mentioned it before.

      Originally the Win7 Bootcamp partition was to play games.

      Now Win7 is to keep using the big screens and watching vids while surfing.

      The Mac side is still 10.6.8 (and not on the internet) because of spending real money on a couple of applications that I still occasionally need.

      Delete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.