06 March 2023

GNGICS

Edit to add:  If we MUST have a background check to make sure people are allowed to have guns, this is what I propose.

The Go-No-Go-Instant-Check-System I have envisioned is simple.

It's a list of the disqualified.  Edit to add: Names and unique ID number since there's so damn many people named Smith and Patel.  Never mind Gonzales...

Put in a name that's not on the list, it returns a "GO!" response.

Put in a name that's on the list, it returns a "NO GO!" response.

And that's all it needs to do.

Then make it accessible to anyone.

Optionally it can keep some stats of responses given and whether or not to report that a forbidden person to the cops.

I'd keep it mandatory for an FFL to use it to make a sale, and optional for private sales.

Notice that I'm not recording what was sold, where it was sold or mandating any record keeping on the part of the buyer or seller.

I think this is as anonymous as you can make a system that checks to see if someone is prohibited.

I think I would also indemnify a seller who uses the system and gets a "GO!" response from being prosecuted for selling a gun to a prohibited person.  That'd encourage its use by private sellers.

Another option is adding a subroutine for NFA stuff.  With a valid "GO!" you can then enter the serial number of your item and pay the taxes.

Once the system is up, I'd also require that all 4473's be destroyed.  The trace system has proven useless since it was implemented and is a greater danger to the citizens than a boon.

9 comments:

  1. I have a friend named Dan Smith and another named Mark Johnson. There are 2 more Mark Johnsons in my 20k population town in southern MN, and more in the area. There are many Dan Smiths in the state. How do you propose to keep this list public, provide enough info to prevent false "GO" and "NO GO" outputs, and not be the world's next best identity theft device? Hell, I went through elementary, middle, and high school with a kid one year ahead of me that had the same first, middle and last name and my graduating class was about 650. I like the idea, just not quite sure on the details part.

    BC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SSN or some such other thing to keep the people with the same name apart would do.
      I'd also have a simple appeal method if you're given a NO GO you don't deserve.

      It's not insurmountable. It's not even hard.

      Ideally, we don't have the checks at all and anyone so dangerous they cannot own a gun, likewise cannot be allowed access to gasoline, automobiles or rat poison.

      Delete
    2. I had an uncle named Robert Smith. He ended up getting a UPIN because there's more than one felon Robert Smith sharing his middle name and birthplace.

      Delete
  2. You Sir have just reinvented the Swiss background check system...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I once reinvented a Roman method of making a fort too.

      Delete
    2. Did the Roman's complain?

      Delete
    3. No, but I had to turn over my character sheet to Spain.

      Delete
  3. You have also basically reinvented the Blind Identification System (BIDS) from '02

    http://bidssystem.blogspot.com/2007/01/bids-system.html

    https://www.gunlaws.com/BIDSvNICS.htm

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.