17 March 2023

What A Chore

My Motorola Z3 is finally giving up the ghost.  I only get about a day's worth of battery any more.

So I went to my carrier's store to get a new phone.

Despite this being the only reason for having a brick and mortar store...

I gave up trying to get a phone from the store.

The first problem was an utter lack of information about the phones displayed with them.  I know what brand each section of the display held, but not the names of the phones.

I give the drone, Astrid, credit for trying to save me money; but I didn't come in to get a new plan.

I came in to get a phone.

The straw that broke the camel's back was the increasing amount of small fees that kept accumulating as she ran her worksheet.  $230 at the time of my departure to walk out with a phone.

The wait while she stabbed at her phone and her tablet gave me time to realize that it wasn't clear which version of the phone I really wanted.

So I said, "if you pitch a new plan, I'm walking."

She replied, "the discounts are attached to this new plan..."

So I just walked off.

The manager materialized.

"What's wrong?" she asked.

"I came in here for a phone and I'm getting a pitch for a new plan.  I didn't ask for a plan, I asked for a phone!"

Once I got home I got on Verizon's AWEFUL web page to see what they sell.

Motorola Edge+ (2022) is what I'm getting.  For $110 plus a monthly payment for a couple years (don't judge, this is how I buy phones).

New phone will be here in a few days and I don't have to pay the multiple convenience fees for someone else to do something I know how to do.

3 comments:

  1. buying a phone sucks...and they are getting so damn expensive...got me a new pixel 7 few months back...had a pixel 4a before that...they gave me a good deal on the trade in (google did) and i got the phone when it was on sale so i ended up paying less for it than i paid for the 4a...on the tmobile magenta plan...had verizon forever, was still on the original unlimited data from years ago but after doing some research i couldn't pass up the tmobile plan...my last few phones i buy unlocked and not from a carrier...can't "pay" it off on your plan but you don't have to worry about dealing with idiots at the store...pop your sim in and good to go...panzer guy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I gave up on phones with plans, an unlocked Moto E or Moto G is only $200 or so and several MVNOs like Straight Talk and Republic offer $30‐35 nigh unlimited plans. Way cheaper than servitude to Verizon, The distaff side have iPhones on Verizon and pay $65/month each for plan and phone. I pay $25 for the same Verizon network

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.