02 March 2023

It Was Like Six Posts Ago!

Remember when I said I figured out writing on my own and didn't really learn the rules?

It leads to a constant fight that the point I'm trying to make is completely missed by a the reader.

Probably because I'll circle back on something, without linking, to something I've touched on before.

My synapses know what I'm on about, but...  These odd symbol things might not convey it.

The point about gun school is they do a very poor job of telling the buyer why they should purchase the clinic.

Beyond learning for learning sake, what good will the clinic do you?

The two I attended would have been very good for a 2-gun match.

Limited application in repelling looters.

The secondary point is the gun-rags apparently being of the opinion that you MUST have graduated such a class AND have insurance to even consider owning a gun.

I don't dismiss the clinics because my vast combat experience informs me that they're full of shit.

My combat experience isn't vast, for one.  Describing it as "extremely limited" could be considered bragging!

I don't think they're full of shit, for another.  I learned things that I still use in them.

Willard has far more words on the usefulness of these classes.  His experience is far more germane than mine.  Unlike me, he was there to fight rather than having a fight pressed on him.

Where I rail against these clinics is in the idea that they be mandatory and how vague they get about what they will be teaching.

2 comments:

  1. You're not wrong about this.

    It's a multi-part problem.
    The Venn diagram of those who've
    a) been there and done that
    b) know what they're talking about, including knowing what they don't know
    c) can adequately teach what they're talking about to lesser mortals, and
    d) can adequately and accurately promote their school to the point of financial success
    is so thin a sliver you could use it for window glass in a pinch.

    So we get instead, an overwhelming horde of folks
    a) who've never done anything commensurate IRL, literally "under the gun"
    b) who don't know what they don't know
    c) who can teach what they want to teach, without being bothered by what they should be teaching, and
    d) who are invariably the sort of hucksters that could sell ice cubes to Eskimoes, and would have given P.T. Barnum a run for his money

    Miyamoto Musashis, Wyatt Earps, and Audie Murphys are always thin on the ground, Forty-Second Boyd never actually shot down another aircraft in his entire flying career, and the scam artists will always fill the void.

    Caveat emptor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: Sign your work. Try this link for an explanation: https://mcthag.blogspot.com/2023/04/lots-of-new-readers.html

Anonymous comments must pass a higher bar than others. Repeat offenders must pass an even higher bar.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.