03 May 2024

I Don't Feel Scary

The other night I was at a brewery, trying to enjoy my beer, when the sounds of obnoxious tween/teens playing some sort of loud popping clap game started getting on my nerves.

They were there because their parents had decided to have a birthday party in the brewery's tasting room.

They were nowhere near their parents making all this noise.

So I decided to, politely, ask one of the adults if they could, perhaps, get their crotch fruit to play somewhere else, like the outside area of the place.

One parent grabs their kids, says they're sorry, and drags them away.

Another is like, "what the fuck?!"

Marv tries to explain that I have hearing issues and his reply is, "I did two tours in Iraq when I was in the Marines and I'm fine!"

So I replied, "try stepping on a landmine."  Because the sound was reminding me of the pop of a bounder.  I think, now, that he thought I was inviting him to step on a mine immediately.

Mr Marine squares up and... visibly reconsiders.  Then he just leaves with his kid to elsewhere in the bar.

I'm thinking, "well, I'm going to get my ass kicked."  Then it doesn't happen.

This sort of thing has happened to me before and I wonder if I look a lot more frightening than I feel when such things are developing.

I am not actually frightening, but I appear to have mastered an effective defensive display.

1 comment:

  1. It's your presence. Non-verbal body language and strength of personality. It's the same when you run across a real martial artist, not someone with 8 blackbelts and such who can't really fight.

    Mr. Marine saw all the non-verbal clues and realized he was about to FA and FO.

    I've never served, but I have horrid tinnitus from really bad allergies and going out to some place that has no acoustic buffering is physically painful and makes me quite grumpy angry. So I know how you feel.

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.