31 January 2021

Further Adventures With Ubuntu

Not really all that adventuresome at the end of the day.

Computers that use a GUI for the user to run things are more alike than different for most things the average person does.

I'm at the level where if I have to leave that GUI bubble, I will have no idea what to do with Linux.  Which is pretty much the same as is that happening with OSX 10.6 too.

I know a spattering of terminal stuff for Windows from my 3.11 days, but a whole lot.

The only "pressing" problem for me and using Ubuntu is to get special characters like the cross/dagger symbol, accented characters, money characters etc... That appears to be handled with a character map application.  I need to explore making keyboard shortcuts for the ones I use most.

The Mac handled this about best of any OS I've dealt with.

Something I'd forgotten when doing the "set up new computer" thing was all the personalization you take for granted.  Like your RSS notifier and script blocker.

I'm getting there.

2 comments:

  1. To get special characters from the keyboard, you need to set a Compose key. I usually like the right control key for that, but there are several other options. For no reason I understand, recent Ubuntu versions make this harder than it used to be. A quick search found two approaches: one with a GUI and one for the command line.

    Be advised, Gnome-Tweaks lets you do bad things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Three methods, character map application, direct unicode input, and using the compose key.

    Direct: left control+shift+u then every the number.

    Follow "Enter special characters" https://help.ubuntu.com/stable/ubuntu-help/tips-specialchars.html.en#:~:text=A%20compose%20key%20is%20a,keyboard%20as%20a%20compose%20key.

    Then you can "compose" special characters by pressing the compose key and entering two characters that combined look like what you want.

    Compose+e+' to get è

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.