26 January 2021

Narrow vs Widebody

In the wooden stocks, weighing in at 2 lb. loaded with 8-shots: A 1975-1976 Model 39!

In the nylon stocks, weighing in at 2.3 lb. loaded with 14-shots: A 1974-1975 Model 59!

These are the first generation of Smith and Wesson's semi-auto lineup.

They are way more similar than different.

The slides even nearly interchange!  The safety won't engage with the 39 slide on the 59 frame.  The 59 slide on the 39 frame is fully functional.

Be careful you don't get them mixed up!

The 39 has an arched back strap, the 59 is flat.  This give the 39 about 1/8" less reach for the trigger.

The 39 is only slightly narrower overall 1-3/16" vs 1-5/16".

The shape of the grips are completely different, the 39 is much more oval.

Neither is uncomfortable, but the 39 is more comfortable.

Special thanks! to The Chomps Collection for the loan of the Model 39!

2 comments:

  1. I have both - the flat back strap and thinner grips on the 59 fit my hands (large palms and shortish fingers) than the 39. Either one works though ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sign your post next time, anon. I made an exception to deleting non-signed here.

      I have pianist's hands, long fingers and normal palms (though I cannot play any instrument).

      Both the 39 and 59 fit my hand, but in different ways. A 39 with a flat back wouldn't, and I suspect an arched 59 wouldn't either.

      Delete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.