03 January 2021

Gettin' Dirty

Phil mentions getting dirty at work...

As a drafter my main job was to translate from the engineers and designers to the shop actually trying to build what was designed.

It's a thankless job.

In my mind the drawing should show the dimensions the part should have and be process neutral.

I don't care HOW the shop makes it as long as they make it match the dimensions on the drawing.

I learned, early on, to wander back to the tool-room and talk to the crusty old machinists about how they intended to make a part so I could propose changes to the drawings so that the engineer got their part, the shop got the best way to make it that suited their process and the floor got parts to assemble into machines.

The tool-room and floor were constantly amazed at my willingness to take off my tie, roll up my sleeves and sacrifice a pair of slacks and get as filthy as they were to show them a critical dimension that their preferred process was just not going to hold.

The shop was amazed.  The engineers were horrified!

I always asked, "do you want them to make usable parts or not?"

With vending machines, you couldn't really get too dirty in the shop.

With bulk materials handling equipment or water treatment; you could get as dirty as you wanted.

With aviation and medical life-support; it was near impossible to get mussed, let alone dirty.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.