14 January 2021

Tech Know Logick

I am reminded, again and again, of the sage wisdom from more than one of my hacker buddies.

"If you don't have a local copy, you don't own shit."

My first personal experience with this was buying a kindle version of TE Lawrence's "Seven Pillars of Wisdom".

One day I went to open it up and the Kindle app on my phone said I had downloaded it on too many devices and would have to repurchase it.  Since I no longer had those dead phones... I tried to buy it again.

Not available for sale any longer.

Now I have a paper copy.

I've listened to more than one friend exclaim that they couldn't watch a movie or show they'd paid for on a given service.  They're doubly hot if they only subscribed to that service to buy that show.

1 comment:

  1. Those are similar to my thoughts. Amazon, for example, specifically does NOT guarantee access to what you "bought" on their platform. They are currently facing a lawsuit over it...

    The Cloud and online services are designed for efficiency - which is pretty much the opposite of security and reliability - it is the digital version of just in time inventory delivered over a single road...
    I have enjoyed some movies and TV shows on streaming recently, so I'm looking at buying DVD copies of them to have available when there are internet or streaming site discuptions.

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: Sign your work. Try this link for an explanation: https://mcthag.blogspot.com/2023/04/lots-of-new-readers.html

Anonymous comments must pass a higher bar than others. Repeat offenders must pass an even higher bar.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.