06 January 2021

I'm Over 2021 Already

The Precious just awarded me with "SERVICE ACTIVE HANDLING" in the driver's information center.

Just fucking lovely.

I have just enough information on what it could be to be having a raging panic attack over the whole thing.

Worse, even though the car runs, the cruise control doesn't work.  With my gimpy legs, that's an essential medical aid for driving.

I ran through the service manual, page by page, on the anti-lock brake system, which also runs the traction control and active handling.

The ABS light is off.  The traction control system can be switched off and on.  Those clues narrow the list of causes.

The list of codes that match the symptoms are:

C0136, C0186, C0196, and C0710.

Codes that seem to need the car to be in motion to set the code, and it sets while stationary at start up, are:

C0137 and C0252.

If it's not a wiring issue then the list of parts is gratifyingly short.

Electronic Brake Control Module is on all six codes.  $400 used because GM discontinued the part.

Brake Fluid Pressure Sensor (C0136 and C0137).  $75 new.  The service manual says to not replace this part, but to replace the Brake Pressure Modulator Valve it screws into.  The BPMV is also discontinued and one will come with the used EBCM I mentioned above.

Yaw Sensor and Vehicle Lateral Accelerometer (C0186, C0196 and C0252).  $125 new.  This is the easiest part to replace.

Steering Wheel Position Sensor (C0252 and C0710).  $91 new.

A friend mentioned, and is fixated on, it being a voltage issue.  Possible.  The battery has 12.67v in the chilly garage.  Could be a ground under the battery box.  Possible, I changed that cable when I did the starter.

All of this is speculative.  JT is coming over with his, superior to mine, code scanner.


No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.