06 September 2022

Killed By Rust

I had meant to post about this when I still had the link, but... It just bubbled back into my brain.

The story was about three men who died going down into a chain locker of a ship.

One at a time they entered and collapsed, with the second and third man trying to rescue the previous victims.

Turns out what snuffed them was a lack of oxygen in the space and what ate up all the oxygen was the anchor chain rusting.

I am continually surprised at what the universe puts out there that can kill you.

5 comments:

  1. I remember that story, don't recall where I first found it, but I think this is the incident: https://officerofthewatch.com/2013/04/26/fatal-accident-during-inspection-of-chain-locker/

    ReplyDelete
  2. WTF? When you open a sealed locker you always let it air out before you go in. Captain John D. Wells taught me that a long time ago. And, if the first guy in gets croaked, boys that's God leaving you a post-it note reading; "Think again little sailormen.".

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Confined space entry is no joke. I got my NFPA cert for it years ago and was a shipyard competent person. No one gets out alive but the amazingly diverse ways you can buy it really stack the deck against making it to oatmeal years.

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: Sign your work. Try this link for an explanation: https://mcthag.blogspot.com/2023/04/lots-of-new-readers.html

Anonymous comments must pass a higher bar than others. Repeat offenders must pass an even higher bar.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.