03 September 2022

Without The Internet

Reflector gunsights for rifles and shotguns were commercially available from just after WW2.

The first powered one was the Giese electric gunsight.  I have found several mentions, but not a single picture.

An ambient light illuminated sight was available from about the same time, The Nydar shotgun sight.

I had a hard enough time convincing GM's to let me slide with a ZH29 rifle...  A red-dot might have pushed my luck.

If you can read Russian, or can work Google Translate...  http://vault8.pro/kollimatornye-pritsely-chast-2-istoriya-razvitiya/

3 comments:

  1. The attire of the fellow in the picture screams 1880 to 1930 or so, which would be far earlier than cited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The idea of a reflector sight is from about 1900.

      That looks like a Long Lee with pattern 1906 volley sights.

      I know they were tinkering with the idea earlier than the commercially available models happened, but there's a serious lack of documentation.

      Delete
  2. Firearms history is appreciated. It's fascinating stuff and I wish more folks posted about it. -JKing

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.