13 July 2023

Core

My free form ranting often leads to realizations that I wouldn't find on my own.

The people who resolutely remain polite and on topic in the comments often reveal something.

Terrapod mentions students who over borrowed to get some play money they didn't expect to have to pay back because...  Well the Democrats have been promising it for 15+ years.

I kinda suspect that this is ALL people who're up to their eyebrows in student loan debt in his mind.

They are not innocent waifs caught unawares.  They are working the system to their benefit and others detriment.

They are not whom I'm talking about when I'm raging.  We're talking about different populations of debtors.

I specifically mentioned Corinthian Colleges.

I'm a victim!

I've been plugging away at the loans for years, but interest is more than the payment, so I'm not making headway.  The interest being frozen since COVID has seen the balance come down for the first time in a long while.  That interest freeze is well within the constitutional bounds the president can do too!  Go me!

I'm not asking that a taxpayer cover my debt, but the people that screwed me walked.  I want them punished for what they did.

When I started my third college adventure it was with Florida Metropolitan University.  It was an independent and respected business school that had been around since the 1940s.

By the time I graduated it was owned by CCI.  With different accreditation.  The Department of Education signed off on that.

Thanks to an unfavorable job market and the reality of The Boy I was unable to put my degree to work.  Notice above where we're paying on the loan?

Today, though, that degree is devoid of value.  CCI was found to be making illegal loans to thousands of students.  When the folded, all the degrees EXCEPT Wyotech became bum-wipe.  If you'd managed to get some job experience before the reputation fall, you managed to escape the trap.  Harvey did this.

These student who were screwed by CCI are the people I am advocating need some relief from the process.  They don't have an actual degree, the degrees they earned weren't for belly lint weaving.  A bachelor's in business admin isn't a fluff degree.

If I were to do it over, I would not have returned to college.  But when I started, business admin grads were in demand, not so much when I was ready to reenter the job market.

What pisses me off the most about much of this were the state-run universities doing the exact same thing that weren't shut down or even meaningfully fined.  Their degrees have the same value as before the DoE cracked down on the predatory lending.  Private schools, invariably, went out of business and the degrees became abrasive toilet paper.

Side Note: The Lovely Harvey worked in student finance for Everest University while this was all going on.  She was terminated for trying to explain to her boss that what they were doing was illegal.  She was even interviewed by the DoE about it, but was never called to testify.

Her former employment with a CCI school has hampered her career.

So, when I talk about many of these students being victims of the schools, I have inside information, I'm married to someone who was nearly a whistleblower.  If she'd gone to the press or law enforcement, instead of her boss, we'd be rich from the wrongful termination suit.

Second Side Note: Harvey works at a non-profit independent college listening to the sales calls from admissions and financial aid to get the scumbags who lie and cheat fired and/or (occasionally) arrested.  She can't do anything about the over-borrowing practice, but her college is not allowed the same latitude that land-grant schools are in over-lending.

8 comments:

  1. I am a little confused by your statement that the interest charges on your student loans exceeded your payments. Are these payments of a mandated amount? Is it not allowed to pay more? I understand that personal economic circumstances might preclude paying extra.

    Here in Oz we have a scheme called HECS - Higher Education Contribution Scheme - that applies to government-operated tertiary education. Those contracts specify that payments will be required once income reaches a certain level, but there is nothing preventing paying more than the minimum, or indeed before it is required. Both our children did precisely that and paid off their loans quickly. The repayments for HECS debts are handled by the tax department, since it only applies to government-funded tertiary institutions. I have no direct knowledge of how fees for private schools are handled.

    Every non-education loan that I have ever taken had language in the contract documents to allow for increases in payments in the event of increases in interest charges. My wife and I had our first home mortgage back in the early 90s, when mortgage interest rates in Oz rose rapidly and hit 18+%. Believe me, that hit our finances hard - finding $20 for a monthly "half-price movie and a pizza" treat was often a challenge.

    As an aside - I believe that home mortgages are treated differently between Oz and the US, so maybe you can clarify things for me.
    Here your home mortgage is something that you strive to pay off, and the lender will pursue you for the full amount if they foreclose and the sale of the asset doesn't cover the outstanding debt.
    I understand that the US approach is more that the interest on the mortgage is almost treated like rent, and the loan amount is paid off when the property is sold, but the lender CANNOT pursue you for the balance if the sale of assets from a foreclosure falls short of the amount owed.

    As an example, I just checked my credit card statement, and paying just the minimum required each month by the card issuer would see me pay off the current outstanding amount on the account in 35 years. Paying the minimum required is effectively a surefire way to never getting out of the hole.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They will certainly accept more.

      I don't have more.

      I am lucky to be able to afford the minimum payment that keeps me out of default, but it's less than the interest accumulation. This is by design, I think, so that people never get clear.

      If you don't start paying the second you graduate, it really bites you. I learned this the hard way. My bad.

      Delete
    2. The mortgage payment is designed to get the principle paid off in a fixed period of time.

      I'm ten years from getting that 30 year note paid off!

      The student loan is structured for a 10 year repayment... If you don't start paying the instant you graduate the deferred interest makes that impossible unless you landed a GOOD job. The minimum to avoid default is much smaller, and doesn't keep up with interest. Much like the minimum payment on a credit card.

      Delete
    3. Ouch. I've been there, I'm glad it's over for us.

      The clause in HECS debt that says that no payment is required until income reaches a certain level is sounding better and better.

      Delete
    4. Oh, OK.
      I had the impression that a mortgage in the US was treated more like an interest-only loan - pay the interest, don't touch the principal until you sell the asset.

      Delete
    5. As I recall, there was a type of loan/mortgage called a "balloon" where the borrower was only required to paid interest until the note was due. This was very nice for flippers, who bought distressed properties, prettied them up, then sold them before the note came due. I suppose it would also work for developers who bought a tract of land, subdivided it, then built and sold houses on the lots. It was great until they couldn't sell enough before the note came due. Hello popping bubble...

      Delete
    6. "I'm ten years from getting that 30 year note paid off!"
      I don't know how your mortgage is structured, but we had a payment book that laid out the interest and principal amount for each payment period. We could make the regular payment, say for June, plus the small principal payment for July. When July rolled around, we would actually be paying the September principal and interest, not owing interest on the July principal. This is easiest at the beginning of the loan when your payment mostly goes toward interest; eventually you get to the point that an extra principal payment is a large chunk of cash, and you don't get as much bang for your buck...

      Delete
    7. We got a traditional 30-year fixed interest loan with 15% down. We pay extra principle every month and while I say "10 years" it's really going to be 8 thanks to that little bit extra on the principle.

      If they keep the interest on the student loans at 0% for the next decade, we might be done with them in 15! Maybe sooner because I think our loans have that 120 payment clause in them.

      Delete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.