24 July 2023

Dur

I have been obsessing over the lack of an oil-pressure gauge in The Beast.

If I'd known the car was making pressure the lack of the pressure sensor might have worried me less.

At first, I'd wished for a way to read the data stream for the oil pressure, but realized that the failed sensor was the source of that reading.

If I'd had a factory oil pressure gauge in the dash, it would have been pegged to the high side.

Thus, useless as a diagnostic tool to tell if there was oil pressure in the event of a sender failure.

I'm really starting to hate how everything is run through the body control module.

Even the tach is suspect.

I am astonished at how expensive 2-1/16" oil pressure gauges have become.

A good one is closing in on $200.

The cheaper good ones give a feeling of false economy because they don't include the sender, bringing the total back to $200 quite quickly. 

Appearance is also a factor.  I want it to look good, be easily readable and be lit at night.

4 comments:

  1. Go old skool
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/285399385929
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/304795048574
    Below likely Chinese, above U.S. made
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/223614086576
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/185169361349

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have I ever mentioned my vow to never run a capillary tube under my dash ever again?

      Delete
    2. I could not agree more for plastic tubing, which has failed on me in both a 62 Ford Falcon and later in a 68 Olds Cutlass, but good quality copper lines properly routed will outlive the car body. My 64 Benz has copper tubing, well buffered through the firewall and with loop and coil going to the engine. Original. The 64 E type Jaguar also had that but they had an almost straight shot from engine to center mounted dash gauges, on engine side about 3 inches of loop in spring like configuration to deal with vibration, if anything was going to break it would be on the engine side.

      No worries, electrical is OK but as you pointed out, good quality is pricey. There is also the contortions of finding a pressure take off point that has enough room to insert the sender. Oh, have also had the actual oil sender fail on my 74 Chevy Impala wagon, took me a while to figure out what was leaking too, the sender if I recall was on the back side of the engine with all of 1 inch clearance to the firewall. Drip, drip for months till I found it. It's all fun and games.

      Delete
    3. I think I am going to order this one for my VW wagon and figure out where to mount it. Also thinking of a transmission oil temperature gauge seeing as the VW OBD bus quit showing trans oil temp on the in-built display for some reason (suspect that the sensor inside the trans failed).
      https://www.ebay.com/itm/302991569212

      Delete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.