12 July 2023

The Automotive Press

I was reading one of those click-bait time-waster lists of worst cars.

They listed the Caprice.

Then acted like it was the same car from 1966 to 2017.

I especially loved how the car was made "bulkier" in 1996.  First, the redesign was in 1991.  Second the car was smaller and lighter than the "boxy" fith generation cars.  Never mind the 4th+ generation cars were significantly smaller than the first three generations.

Something I can say about the 1991-1996 Caprice is they had excellent mechanical reliability.  The Biscayne was pushing 250k miles when I sold her.  Sold, not junked.

So...  with these objections in mind and with Murray-Gellman clenched in my teeth...

The author must not know anything about any of the cars in question.

3 comments:

  1. Some of those click bait articles are really terrible. But car reviews in general can be super biased. I've noticed a lot of domestic hatred in general and GM hatred in specific and often there is a lot of Japanese brand love to the point of fanatacism. Here's a question they probably didn't think of in relation to the Caprice. What car in it's class was better? Excluding it's GM siblings, it really only had one serious competitor, the Crown Victoria (and the Mercury and Lincoln versions). Having seen both, the Caprice was clearly the superior car. The Crown Vic was one of Ford's more solid offerings, but it just isn't as nice of a car to drive. Look at resale values, especially in overseas markets like the middle-east where Caprices command a premium. There really weren't any other true full size cars on the market in those days. The Dodge Charger and Chrysler version didn't even show up until 2004-2005 and not really full sized. The Japanese have never exported a true full size car to the US. The European full size cars, regardless of how nice they might be were always so stupidly expensive that they really can't be fairly compared to a Caprice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Retired State Trooper who drove Dodge Diplomats with 360's & 318's, Ford Crown Vics, and Chevrolet Caprices and Tahoes; the 90's Caprices were, hands down, the best police packages I drove.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I hadn't had that close encounter with a deer that nearly killed me, I might be still driving the one you guys gave me.

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.