01 September 2022

Knee Jerk

It might seem like I overreacted a bit in response to the rather mild statement, "You just have to put in a little time and effort like you do with any new piece of equipment. I think a lot of the people that complain about it being hard to use just aren't willing to do that."

I've been listening to people say that for more than 30 years about the OEG.


 

The OEG is the Armson Occluded Eye Gunsight and it's a really nifty theory.

Pic stolen from Armson's web page.

With both eyes open, one eye sees the target and the other sees the dot, then the brain superimposes the images and Robert is your mother's brother.

It seems simple and intuitive and it's anything but.  Especially when trying to get that dot zeroed.  Oh, that zero is wrong if you switch eyes.  WAY wrong for most people.

Being a Star Wars geek, I've owned a couple.

They are not easy to use, but I've seen people use them successfully.

I got to the point where I could make it work.  I put in the time and effort.

Remember me being an early adopter of Aimpoint?  I first thought of it as an improved OEG.  It is.

No more tricking your brain!  Zero is easy and works with both eyes!

PS:

For the princely sum of $60 you could get a scope that's very similar to a modern red-dot in 1969 from Sears!

It uses a grain of wheat incandescent bulb instead of an LED, but all of the essential red-dot characteristics are already there.  Uses common, everyday, AA batteries too!

Quite a bit bulkier than an OEG though:

Pic found on Arcom.

Then there's the Weaver Quick Point from the early '70's.  It's a red-dot that's illuminated by a red fiber-optic in a clear dome, much like the OEG, but the dot is projected onto a lens below the light gathering tube allowing you to look through the sight.
 

See what I meant about good ideas taking a long time to catch on?

4 comments:

  1. It occurs to me that the issue with some of this tech is the wetware. Like the stereoscopic rangefinder the OEG requires a user with binocular vision and matched vision in both eyes. Not everyone has that. You have also experienced the issues with modern red dot sights and astigmatism. On the bright side it appears that spending money on a glass reticle prism sight solves it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huh, guess I was just stuck on the "old ways" and never bothered with the fancy new toys :-) Now of course in my 50's I am thinking it might be time to break that habit and use some of these things... Thank you, this has been a far better explanation of the OEG stuff than I'd heard...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember the Weaver unit. There was an ad with actor Slim Pickens, if I remember correctly. Made in models for shotguns and rimfire rifles. Strange looking - thanks for including a picture of it.

    jrg

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's the way it's always been for me with any sight. Unless I force the weak hand aiming. And then My left eye takes over. And if I switch back to strong hand, my left eye stays dominant. In any case, I got my eye(s) on it.

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.