14 September 2023

It's All Relative

Accelerating at 4g for a day gets to about 1% the speed of light.

That got me to wondering if I should be accounting for time dilation.

I found a table showing the X axis as a percentage of the speed of light labeled in tenths with 1.0 at the far right.

That had a sharp curve for the time dilation in the Y axis and 10x dilation at the upper right corner...

"Holy BLEEP!" I says.

Then I realized.

1.0 is 100%...

There's hardly any time dilation at 1% the speed of light.

According to that graph, even 90% the speed of light is around 2x dilation.

It's not near the issue science fiction led me to think it was with anything close to a plausibly realistic engine.

Unrealistic engines almost always come with a faster than light drive that takes the worries about relativity off the table.

Edit to add:

That graph I referenced should not be taken to mean that there's "only" 10x time dilation at the speed of light.  That line is near vertical there and isn't quite at c.  The closer you get to c, the more dilation you get, forever.

4 comments:

  1. I'm telling you as a friend, you're gonna void your warranty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, the classic 'Limit' from Calculus. You can get close but can never reach... the limit, set by the speed of light in this instance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. cf: Tau Zero (The Flight of the Leonora Christine) by Poul Anderson
    A hard science fiction tale of the impact of time dilation on interstellar travellers without FTL.

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.