21 September 2023

My Own Form Of Snobbery

Yesterday, at the range, a light bulb went on.

We were shooting at 7 yards on the 25 yard range.

There were several people with AR's shooting at the 10 yard line.

I see this a lot and didn't really make note of it.

What I noticed was that I never see these people on the 100 yard range.

Ever.

While I'll use the shorter ranges for zeroing, I always hit the longer range to confirm them.  Most of the time I have to make adjustments to the zero too.

I feel the same way about never shooting a rifle past pistol ranges as I do about taking a ranged weapon into melee combat.

You're doing it wrong.

Even better, when your groups at 100 yards start shrinking, you really feel like you did something!

I will admit, though, there's a liberal application of glass between me and the target most of the time now.  Getting old ain't for sissies.

4 comments:

  1. The few times I've been shooting pistols I always found it fun to, yes, start at close range and then proceed to move the target farther and farther until it's at the max range of the range (indoor ranges.)

    I mean, most anyone can hit, with a pistol, a target at 3 yards or so, generally. But hitting paper at 25 yards actually takes some work.

    The one time rifle shooting, ROTC, was in an indoor range and was the first time shooting real guns (.22LR conversions of M16ish guns.) That was at max range of the indoor range, can't remember how far it was, probably 25 yards.

    10 yards with a rifle? Seriously?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do they expect to make the clicky adjustments of accuracy for an AR-pattern rifle on a target only 7 yards away?

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I went out west to hunt, it was 25 yard, 100 yard and 200 yard shots for zeroing a 30-06. When I shot tactical rifle matches with an M-4 clone it was the same thing. Those sneaky folks in Hoover, AL would put a few targets between 300 and 350 yards. Just shooting at 25 yards would have me wing and prayer shooting at tle longer ranges.

    ReplyDelete
  4. shooting a rifle at less than 100 yards is no fun. But then again, the people I see at the range can barely keep their groups on a 23" x 35" paper target at 5-7 yards, let alone a grouping of any sort, and that's with a handgun or rifle. Given how they're dressed in all the latest gun fashion (like the Harley folks) you'd think they could shoot better. LOL. -JKing

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.