07 September 2023

Modified

I just went car insurance shopping.

USAA is still the price to beat, despite the 33% increase from last period on top of the 43% increase from the period before.

$660 a month is what we were going to have to pay.

I nuked $160 of it (eliminating the increase) by changing from "stacked" to "unstacked" coverage for the uninsured motorist portion!

The insurance agent at AAA suggested that after we found out they won't write coverage for The Beast.

A different agent says that 8 of her 11 companies, likewise, will not write for The Beast.

Why?

"Modifications"

What modifications?

I have 12 different answers.

All of them clearly decided by people who don't know fuck-all about cars.

Among my favorites:  The police modify the car to go faster.

No.  No they do not.  They like their warranty as much as the next guy.

The addition and removal of police equipment compromising the car in some way is phrased several different ways.  With no procedure to prove that nothing was compromised.

This is especially galling, because I know a lot about the car.

They were imported as ready-built cop cars.  Provision was made for adding police equipment without compromising the car's safety, performance or handling.  Those same provisions allow for its safe removal as well.

I dunno if this is true for Ford or Dodge or other GM cars, but it is true of the Caprice PPV.

Plus, I still think that my massive brake upgrade should be worth some discount.  I can stop with Corvettes, despite outmassing them by half a ton!

6 comments:

  1. Auto insurance all across this great nation is jacked up because of what's happening on the left coast and up north. In Florida, it's also Miami and Orlando, both under control of democrats that are screwing up prosecution of criminals.

    USAA can give you, sometimes, a discount if you say you use a steering wheel lock thingymabob.

    ReplyDelete
  2. pretty soon we won't be able to afford insurance even if they will cover the vehicle... panzer guy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is PEMCO in your area?
    Hard to beat one of their quotes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. $660 a month is $7,920 a year? For insurance on a car?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Making an exception for the unsigned here.

      It's for three cars including comp and collision.

      Delete
    2. That's still sky high for 3 vehicles with only two drivers. I have 3 vehicles with two drivers on conventional insurance and I'm paying just a bit over 1/2 that much. I also have two vehicles on "collectors" insurance and I pay about 1/2 that for both of them for a year. Texas has seen some increases, mine has been up 20-25% a year the past few years. But it seems like Florida for some reason has gone f-ing stupid. Is it does to weather related claims? We haven't had much near here. I'm far enough from the coast we don't get lumped in with them and their hurricane issues.

      Delete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.