22 February 2024

After All That

The City of Manor, Texas is the source of the first example of Texans don't pronounce things right I found.

But it's worse than that.

It's spelled like the English word pronounced "Manner" or "Manohr"

But it's named after a person, James B Manor.

I don't know how he said it, but the official pronunciation is "May-Ner."

Locals say, "May-Nohr".

But people from Florida should be mocked for not knowing any of this?

Have another bowl of enchilada sauce, I guess.

4 comments:

  1. I went to Manor Middle School in Killeen, TX. Always pronounced May-Ner and while I don't recall a lesson on James I always assumed it was a proper name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's May-nohr now. Or at least it was when I asked directions when the GPS decided to lose lock.

      Delete
  2. Things are like that everywhere like Martinez, Georgia (pronounced Martin-ez) and we won't even get into Worcester Massachusetts. (Insert link to Shibboleth song here)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lima, Ohio isn't said as a soldier would say it.

      Delete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.