26 February 2024

Beast Update

A different tire place did the alignment today.

They didn't complain of anything under the car being put on wrong and had me done by the promised time.  Almost as if the first shop was lying?

I, however, was fucking rancid on my test drive when the steering wheel had picked its old shimmy back up.  Pretty much the same shimmy that started me working on the front end to begin with!

Starting about 50 the wheel would shake from side to side, getting worse until about 85.  It had a cycle to it as well, every 30-40 seconds it would stop then start then stop...

Nothing appears loose on the front end and I sat baffled.

So I canvassed my friends!

JT suggested seeing if it was a rim or tire by doing a tire rotation.

So I did.

Test drive confirms the vibration has moved to the rear of the car and there's nothing being transmitted directly into the steering wheel any more.

I think I put too many miles on the tires with all the worn out parts and I've cupped a tire slightly.

Or I shed a wheel weight.  It was really shaking at times before I did the tie-rods.

The car is far more driveable now than it's ever been!

2 comments:

  1. "It had a cycle to it as well, every 30-40 seconds it would stop then start then stop..."

    This implies you've got at least two oscillations going on that are slightly out of phase and every 30 to 40 seconds, they line up properly to cancel (180 degrees out of phase). It's possible that if you can make reference mark on the tires and rotate them look for the low spot you can find it. If this were a perfect world (ha!) something as simple as removing one side's tire, rotating it one lug nut spacing could fix it. Rotating forward or backward depends on where the relative high or low spot is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it's a cupped rear tire maybe a few burnouts will round it back out? I know... evil suggestion.
    -swj

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.