01 February 2024

If You're Going To Have A Hot Rod...

There's two paths to owning a hot rod.

One requires a ton of money.

This path involves hiring someone to do all the work and you call them when something goes wrong.

The second path still requires money, but not near so much, and buying tools.

When you're on this path, you get on a forum or group when something goes wrong and ask questions of the accumulated experience.

But, remember what I said about tools?

With a modern, computer controlled, engine, a scan TOOL is...  For fuck's sake tool is in the gorram name.

If you're in limp mode and the check engine light is on, you're going to need the codes the computer is throwing to have a decent chance of fixing it.

The service manual is another, expensive, tool.

It includes several if/then tables to get you from that code to fixed.

The code might be "I cannot read this sensor" and the sensor might just be OK.  It could be a wire.  It could be the computer.

If you say that you replaced the sensor(s) and still have the codes I am going to say that you didn't troubleshoot the problem very well.

When you get angry at people asking detailed questions about your problem, including asking what codes your code scanner read...

I recommend you change to the first path of hot rod ownership.  You're obviously not well suited to the second.

5 comments:

  1. I don't have the patience for tracing down the modern vehicle laden with sensors. I was told that if you get a code but the vehicle is not exhibiting any problems, the 1st step is disconnect the battery terminal and re-set the code. If it comes back again, THEN start your effort to fix.

    jrg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most people go somewhere in the middle. They do some of the work themselves, but some things they might have to pay someone else to do. Sometimes it isn't possible or worth the $$$ to buy the tools for yourself for example. Like painting a car. Most of the home solutions leave a lot to be desired. Unless you're lucky enough to have a local DIY shop where you can rent a paint booth like I do, it is usually far cheaper to pay someone else to paint a car if you want a decent result. And many of us don't have a garage with enough headroom for a lift, and some work just isn't feasible (especially for 50+ year olds) to do without one. I used to do a lot more of my own work back in the old days because I had to, being nearly penniless. Not sometimes I choose to pay someone else to do something I probably could do myself because I can, or because due to work time issues, etc, I just couldn't get done myself on a reasonable timeframe. An example... I replaced shocks on 2 of my 3 Corvettes myself. When I needed them done more recently on my newer one I had the guys at the DIY shop do it for me because I needed the car done in time for an event and I had to work. I did, however figure out how to fix the #$!&@!?! "SERVICE RIDE CONTROL" error messages and the 158MPH speed cut-off myself. That limit was really annoying. Fixing it required buying a very specific code scanner/programmer tool. A Chinese made knock off of the GM Tech2 that can access proprietary portions of the GM BCM. Turning off code F22. It was expensive and hard to get -- ended up having to buy it from a seller in Hong Kong after two Amazon sellers failed to deliver. Of course I don't really care whether anyone thinks I'm doing things some proper way or not either. Sometimes I cheat, and I'm OK with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is no middle. You either spin wrenches or you don't.

      Nothing about spinning wrenches means you can't hire out a job if you lack time or expertise.

      But the wrench spinner discipline requires you to listen to the answers you get when you ask for help at the end of your skills.

      If you're not going to listen:

      “If ye love bragging better than building, the tranquility of writing checks better than the animating contest of spinning wrenches, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or tools. Crouch down and lick the hands which fix your car for you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our brethren.”

      Delete
  3. I think I forgot to sign that... damn...
    -swj

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have almost as much fun in my driveway tuning, maintaining and upgrading the T bucket as I do driving it... Almost. :)

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.