08 February 2024

Inaccessible

When I installed the fog lights, I saw there was a connector that was unplugged.

This was the bumper harness connector.  It runs power to the side marker lights.

I plugged it back in, but it seemed like it didn't get latched.

Today, while tearing the car apart to start my strut R&R, I decided to see if the reason the side markers weren't working was the bulb.

With the fender liner almost out of the way you can reach around the horn and get at the plug for the bulb.

I fished out the bulb and discovered that it was fine.  A 9-volt confirmed it.

This is when I notice that plug was unplugged again!

Plug it back in, no click on the latch, but the lights work now.

There's no way to get two hands on it, and it's not going home with what force I can exert with my feeble arthritic left paw.  The only paw I can get on it.

Removing the horn creates a clear path to the connector, and thus I can get a pair of channel-locks on it!

Just a little pressure and it goes, "click!"

Hurrah!  Now my lights work!


Now, back to the struts...

To make sure that it really is the strut I start grabbing things and seeing if they're loose.

Passenger side inventory:

Forward lower control arm?  Firm.

Rear lower control arm?  Firm.

Tie rods, inner and outer?  Firm.

Sway bar end links?  Firm at the top, but bottom is loose!

"Odd," I think, "I just changed those."

Shake it again and see it's not the end link that's loose.

The entire front sway bar is moving left to right four inches (10.16 cm for you metric motherfuckers)!

This does a better job of explaining why the steering wheel shakes in right turns only.

New bushings on order and we'll see if that solves it without changing the struts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.