05 August 2022

Don't Stop Learning

Tam and I have butted heads before.

But she's fundamentally correct about how technology propagates through gun owners.

We tend to find the solution that works for us and stop looking to solve the problem.

Wait.

I found the problem with declaring the "good enough for me" people as a form of proto-fudd.

They've found a solution to the problem and there is no need to solve it again.  It's solved.

That's why they stopped looking.  Not because there isn't a better solution, there's no need for it.

Because I'm a grass MUST be greener on the other side of the fence, I'm always trying new solutions.

I'm disappointed a lot too.

Early adopters often are.

But I still have the AimPoint 1000 I put on my Mini-14 way back when a red-dot was a radical idea.

The thing still works, but it's laughably primitive today.  It resides on Harvey's 10/22 and collects dust with the rifle she never shoots.  We're not .22 people.

But, over the years, I've gotten a little cynical about "new and improved" and how much better the new things are since sliced bread.

I have to say, "is this right for me?" before considering up-ending my apple cart.  If you've been reading here any time at all you've watched that cart get up-ended both when I didn't ask, "is this right for me?" and when I did.  I fear the results are similar.

At present, I am resisting red-dots on my pistols because a) I don't own a pistol that's cut for one, b) I can see that the sight will interfere with pocket carry and c) they cost money.

Pocket carry is all summer in Florida.

Perhaps Florida will finally get open carry passed so that I can carry in a manner which allows for a holster that is cut for an optic.  (Note: The cops will arrest you if they can see your gun in many Florida jurisdictions even with a "brief exposure" being allowed by law.)

The cost issue is mainly that they're not shinier than a different gun I wanna Grok to fullness.

I like the idea of red-dots.  They've not caught up to my needs yet.  Yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.