18 August 2023

Also About The Ruger Standard

I decided it was time to clean the Ruger.

.22LR is extra dirty, and we had some malfunctions that were clearly from dirt.

The Ruger .22 handguns are legendary in being a pain in the ass to get back together, so people are reluctant to take them apart to clean.

I'm pretty deft at reassembly, so that doesn't dissuade me.

I'm lazy.

Plus, the thing runs fine when it's totally filthy.

So we have been.

Well, there's a limit and we hit it today.

And the powder residue gets EVERYWHERE inside the thing.

It's clean now, but I might wanna rethink my cleaning schedule just to make the job a bit easier.

3 comments:

  1. Years ago I finally got around to cleaning my Ruger .22. It was a stainless steel one so I let cleaning go and go. Take it apart to find the firing pin broken in half. Fired just fine.
    JFM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you thought of adding a "blast shield"?

    Basically it's a piece of thin metal that covers the trigger mechanism and keeps the fouling out.

    I first saw it on an old gunblog.

    I just use aluminum from a coke can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the same way about the Ruger .22 that I have. Sometimes I've been uber lazy about those and also Marlin 60s (which are not hard to take apart) and bathed them with large amounts of non-chlorinated brake cleaner spray (from O'Reilly or Auto Zone). Don't get it on wood of course because it can take the finish off. But my Ruger has plastic grips which don't seem to be affected. It still isn't a long term substitute for disassembly but it can postpone that. Amazing the amount of black gritty gunk comes out. Especially bad if you use the cheapest kinds of .22 ammo you can find like I often do on .22s that will take it (some are more picky). Winchester Wildcat, Federal Lightning and Remington Thunderbold... super dirty stuff. But a few boxes is a cheap afternoon of shooting.
    -swj

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.